Re: Why so many install DVD's ?

Hi,

On Friday 04 March 2011 17.46:11 dos4ever wrote:
> Why 7 install  iso files at 4.4G & 1 at 842M =31Gb.
> If they are all needed to install the OS that would make Debian more
> bloatware then Win 7.

:-)

Others have answered: CD 1 is sufficient.

I usually don't even use the full CD / DVD1, but only the "business card" or
"netinst" images (20M or 100M IIRC): you install a very basic system and
just (automatically) download the rest -- and only what you really need --
via the net. Of course you only do this if you have a reasonably fast
Internet connection (home DSL is fine, doesn't need a huge pipe. But don't
try it via a ISDN / Modem link...)

Remember: Debian ==
 * Linux kernel + X.org + KDE and GNOME and lots of other stuff at less than
1G (and this is already more software than you get with a windows install
DVD)
 * OpenOffice/LibreOffice, GIMP, digikam, amarok, inkscape, scribus, ...
(tons of applications)
 * wesnoth and quite a few other games
 * eclipse, kdevelop and a lot ofther development tools
 * ... - you name it, we have it
 * ... - we don't have it, you don't want it ;-)

cheers
-- vbi