Re: New version of DEP-5 parser

Le Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 03:09:00PM +0100, Dominique Dumont a écrit :

> Config::Model was designed to handle configuration files where the concept of
> unknown parameter does not apply.

Dear Dominique,

I think that it is completely fine. There is no guarantee that an extra field
is used consistently across all the machine-readable copyright files. I think
that they should simply propagated without modification.

If package maintainers would like to use debian/copyright to vehiculate extra
information, I think that it is their responsiblity to do it right as it is not
a requirement from the Policy and currently there is no plan to harvest that
data on a project-wide manner.

If a revision of the format would bless a popular extra field into an optional
or required field, a parser performing an upgrade could simply issue a warning
when it detects that it was already present in the previous version.

This gives a maximum of flexibility. If we make a barrier to the addition of
extra fields, I think that it will send the wrong message to the developers
who would like to explore evolutions on the use of debian/copyright.

Lastly, I do not think that it is necessary to provide an automated upgrade
facility for the files written with pre-CANDIDATE versions of the DEP,
especially for optional fields.

In summary, it is great to have your parser working on the current version of
the DEP, recognising the required and optional fields.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan