Re: DEP5: ready for CANDIDATE?

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 12:58:48AM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> I don't know that there need to be any normative changes to correct this,
> but I think there definitely need to be some clearer pointers to an external
> reference for the license definitions for these short names.

This is a very good point: beside debates on which short name should
correspond to which license, we need to provide a reliable (and
DEP5-authoritative) key-value mapping from short names to full text
licenses.

I see various possible ways of achieving that. One is to store under
dep.d.n/deps/dep5/ a list (either as full text documents or as a mapping
short name -> URL); unfortunately, either way, we would add a new
license list to be maintained, I'm skeptical it won't get out of date
any time soon.

Alternatively, we might use DEP5 mappings as key to index
/usr/share/common-licenses/, which does seem to be the most natural
place. After all, we include licenses in that dir as they are widespread
licenses we don't want to duplicate in copyright files; that seems to be
the very same rationale for assigning short names in DEP5.

Cheers.