Re: Partners

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 11:12:37PM +0000, anthony budd wrote:
> But is it not the case that if someone sold your OS for any price yet
> downloaded it for free would infringe the copyright law?

No, because the software you download is made availabe under a free
license, see the previous links and http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

The service you are providing is downloading the software and putting it onto
some kind of media for users to install. You can charge whatever you like
for that service, but you can't force people to use it because they are
free to download it themselves at their own cost.

> Otherwise could we
> negotiate a commission system were I sell the OS in the UK?

If you redistribute Debian and make a profit, you could consider making a
donation to the project to fund further development. But no, there is no
commission system and there will probably never be.

--
Jonathan Wiltshire                                      jmw@debian.org
Debian Developer                         http://people.debian.org/~jmw

4096R: 0xD3524C51 / 0A55 B7C5 1223 3942 86EC  74C3 5394 479D D352 4C51