feedburner webbugs (was: Re: What is annoying in the flattr buttons?)

* Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> [2010-11-10 20:45:22 CET]:
> On Mon, 08 Nov 2010, Holger Levsen wrote:
> > since a while, we see unsolicted commercial links and images on planet, mostly
> > about flattr.
>
> So it's now clear that this thread is only about flattr buttons.

 Actually it started as that, but you brought up an IMHO more pressing
issue that is bugging me: feedburner. This usage of webbugs is actually
pretty nasty and I'd like to know the opinion of others on those. They
are 1x1 invisible images that people put into their feeds explicitly for
tracking purposes from what I can see.

 While we can give the benefit of doubt to flattr that they might (or
might not) be using the information for tracking (which I actually
consider rather unlikely given the background of the person who started
flattr), feedburner's only purpose is for tracking, as I understand it.

 So long,
Rhonda

P.S. For the record, I created an index.planet feed (beside my regular
index.rss feed) that I did submit to the planet config. Actually I'm
astonished that it shouldn't be possible with any reasonable blogging
engine to be able to add any links to only specific entries instead of
to all of them.
--
<dholbach> Last day of https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDeveloperWeek starting in
           34 minutes in #ubuntu-classroom on irc.feenode.net