Re: commercial spam on planet

On Tue, 09 Nov 2010, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> > For some value of "any". Planet has a big audience, articles are seen by
> > more than 30000 persons so it's difficult to speak for them.
>
> How do you get that number?

Feedburner statistics. But I was wrong, it's not that many. That numbers
includes also Planet Ubuntu and any RSS reader (it's the number I gave
in [1]).

I looked it up and my post popular article has been "viewed" 13000 times
through http://planet.debian.org or http://planet.debian.net so this is
without people following Planet via RSS. But a given article might be
viewed multiple times by the same person given that everything is on the
same webpage on planet.debian.org and that you load the pages regularly if
you follow it from the web. But it's still a number which is largely superior
to the number of developers.

[1] http://raphaelhertzog.com/2010/10/25/secret-figures-of-a-debian-ubuntu-blogger-what-you-liked-most/

BTW you complain that a flattr image allows flattr to track your browsing
habits when there are many other stuff tracking you already and that are
not so "visible", like feedburner.

> > What do you mean with "other languages"?
> > Do the non-English Planet Debian have stricter rules than the English one?
>
> I didnt wrote about other planets, i wrote other languages.

Ok, you meant posts written in other languages are not allowed in the
feed. It's not really comparable to a footer, but ok I understand what you
meant.

On Tue, 09 Nov 2010, Philip Hands wrote:
> How about making the planet disarm all links that point elsewhere than
> the same domain as the blog post that contains it?  Perhaps a little
> too draconian?

IMO, it's too draconian, indeed. Even if you restrict this to picture.

Exactly the same problem exists with HTML mails and many mail-readers
don't load pictures by default for this reason.

While I can understand the privacy concerns, and while I support that
Debian provides software that by default protect the privacy of users, I
don't think that Debian needs to have an official policy on this topic
as far as Planet Debian is concerned. When you're reading blogs or any web
page, you know that you leave many traces and it's a choice of the user
about how much to accept, by using or not the extensions that are meant to
mitigate this problem.

BTW, I would be happy if I could self-host a feedburner like service
to gather my stats and avoid leaking that information to third parties.
But AFAIK there's no free software doing this currently. And I don't want
to write it myself. And I need this because I'm trying to be professional
about my blogging activities and I need figures to see how my articles are
doing and whether I'm on the right track or not.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer ◈ [Flattr=20693]

                      ▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)