Re: DEP-5: Files field and filename patterns

Le Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 08:43:41AM +1200, Lars Wirzenius a écrit :

> Some issues I would like to raise:
>
> * Is comma-separation appropriate? I'd prefer space-separation myself.
> What do those who write parsers think?
>
> * Are find -name/-path globs a better idea than .gitignore?
>
> * .gitignore has one pattern per line, which I think is inappropriate
> for for DEP-5 debian/copyright files: we should allow "Files: *.c *.h",
> I think.
>
> * Are shell-style globs the right idea? Should we use Perl regular
> expressions on the entire pathname instead?
>
> * Is using multiple paragraphs for exceptions the right idea? Russ
> suggests not, and I think I agree. .gitignore uses an exclamation mark
> (!) as a prefix for logical not.
>
> Any other issues related to filename patterns in the Files field?

Hi Lars,

Space-separation has the great advantage to make it possible to paste the
field's value directly to the shell (via xargs in case it contains new lines).
I found this useful when writing debian/copyright files.

I think that we can, and should, keep the rest of the syntax simple by using
only the shell wildcards ‘?’ and ‘*’. I have not worked on any package where a
more complex syntax would be needed.

Adding an exclusion syntax with ‘!’ has some use, but it would be to the
expense of being able to paste the field's value, and between the two I prefer
being able to paste.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy