Re: [DEP5] [patch] Renaming the ‘Maintainer’ field ‘Contact’

Le Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 06:25:59AM +1200, Lars Wirzenius a écrit :

> So we have at least three suggestions on the table now:
>
> 1. Rename Maintainer: to Contact:
> 2. Rename Maintainer: to Upstream-Contact: and Name: to Upstream-Name:
> 3. Drop both Maintainer: and Name: completely, even as optional fields

In my experience, packagers do their best, and will try to use the optional
fields if possible, so if there is no plan to parse them and use the data, I
would also recommend to save everybody's time and drop them.

The Policy recommends to “name the original authors of the package and the
Debian maintainer(s) who were involved with its creation”, but it is debated
(#462996) whether it is authoritative on the subject or not. Also, one could
argue that the Copyright fields serve exactly that purpose, especially if this
field is allowed in the header.

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy