Re: [DEP-5] [patch] Syntax of the files.

Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> (The existing
> section is giving requirements for the syntax of the file, such as
> human-readability, which was appropriate at the beginning of the
> development of the spec, but I think we don't need that in the spec
> anymore.)

> -The `debian/copyright` file must be machine-interpretable, yet
> -human-readable, while communicating all mandated upstream information,
> -copyright notices and licensing details.

The rest is good, but I like that paragraph. It nudges authors of copyright
files toward considering both their target audiences. The format itself should
point users in that direction; lintian can check some things like excessively
long lines, but a reminder can't hurt, especially since we have existing
examples of DEP-5 copyright files that are not very human readable (eg,
chromium).

--
see shy jo