Using the Names field to indicate that a work was copied from somewhere else (Re: DEP-5: additional requirements to use with upstream).

Le Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 05:14:52PM -0700, Russ Allbery a écrit :

> * A comment field in the header section into which I can put statements
>   like:
>
>     All individual files with no other license statement are released
>     under this license.  Some files have additional copyright dates from
>     earlier releases or may be owned by other copyright holders as noted
>     in those files.  Some files are individually released under different
>     licenses, all of which are compatible with the above general package
>     license.
>
> * An origin field in the files section where I can note the origin of that
>   set of files.  For example, my packages contain some files copied from
>   GNU Libtool, and I currently say that in the LICENSE file.  I don't want
>   to lose that information.  This use case could be served by just
>   allowing a comment field in the files section, I suppose, and that may
>   be a better approach since it's more general.

Hi Russ,

similarly to Lars' proposition to recycle the License and Copyright fields in
the header, how about using the Disclaimer and Name fields for your purposes?

Disclaimer:
 All individual files with no other license statement are released
 under this license.  Some files have additional copyright dates from
 earlier releases or may be owned by other copyright holders as noted
 in those files.  Some files are…

And to indicate that some files are not the original work of the maintainers:

Files: config.sub config.guess
Name: Autoconf
Copyright: © 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999,
 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License: GPL-2+ with Autoconf exception

Files: zconf.h
Copyright: © 1995-1998 Jean-loup Gailly and Mark Adler
License: zlib
Name: zlib

Files: csrc/dnapars.c, csrc/protpars.c
Copyright: © 1980-2008. University of Washington
Name: Phylip
License: other
        (c) Copyright 1980-2008. University of Washington. All rights reserved. Permission is
        granted to reproduce, perform, and modify these programs and documentation files.
        Permission is granted to distribute or provide access to these programs provided
        that this copyright notice is not removed, the programs are not integrated with or
        called by any product or service that generates revenue, and that your distribution
        of these documentation files and programs are free. Any modified versions of these
        materials that are distributed or accessible shall indicate that they are based on
        these programs. Institutions of higher education are granted permission to
        distribute this material to their students and staff for a fee to recover
        distribution costs. Permission requests for any other distribution of these
        program should be directed to  license (at) u.washington.edu .

It can not convey much informaiton, but the more we add, the more we need to maintain.

Have a nice week-end,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan