Re: DEP-5: clarify batching of copyrights, licenses in a single stanza

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 10:39:38PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Indeed, there seems to be a quite common misconception that the presence of
> syntax in DEP-5 that lets you list the copyright and license of individual
> files means that it is a *requirement* that you list the license status with
> this level of granularity.  To my knowledge no one has ever intended this to
> be the case, and it has never been my understanding of the drafts to date.
As someone who wasn't in on those discussions it reads like that.  So it
seems the intent I was happy with but perhaps the wording is ambiguous
(it seems there are at least 3 of us that have read it "wrong")

> Attached is a patch that tries to clarify this in the DEP itself.  Do you
> think it does an adequate job of this?  If so, given that this is a
It certainly makes it more clearer.

Something around the Copyright section would help explaining
that it is not essential that every author listed is responsible for
every file covered by this section, it is just important to capture all
authors for the collection of files this stanza specifies.

Explaining the years would be nice, ie
  a.c (C) 2001-2003 Me and
  b.c (C) 2000-2002 Me
is stating (C) 2000-2003 Me in the Files:  * statement ok?

Perhaps it should be more explicit.  When I'm reviewing my
documentation, I try to "forget" the thing I wrote about and read it
again to see if it gives whatever I intended.

I've often had comments about the documents that start of with me
initially thinking "what are they smoking" to "i see how they get that" to
"it reads like that to me, Ill change it" after some time.

If this does make it in, someone should write a file checking program to

 - Craig
--
Craig Small      GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
http://www.enc.com.au/                             csmall at : enc.com.au