Re: DEP-5: additional requirements to use with upstream

Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> writes:
> Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

>> > Would a generic multi-line Comment: field be sufficient?
>>
>> Yes.

> Would an end-line comment syntax, like the one that already works in the
> ‘debian/control’ file, be sufficient?

> If so, then we can avoid diverging from the existing formats in this
> regard, and reduce proliferation of fields.

My opinion on this is that using # as a comment marker is already a
diversion from RFC 5322 and I was surprised that dpkg had support for it.
If we want this to be used outside of Debian, sticking strictly to the
syntax for RFC 5322 headers seems like a good idea to me since we're
staying with a format with known parsers.