Re: DEP-5 meta: New co-driver; current issues

Lars Wirzenius <liw@liw.fi> writes:

> The current outstanding issues I am aware of:

> * a "Comment" field would be good
> * license shortnames/keywords: the set of keywords probably needs work,
>   and hopefully can be compatible with what other projects use; the
> * file globbing syntax
> * clarify the text so it's clear DEP-5 won't require more precision
>   than is currently needed

> If there's more issues, please raise them. I will be be starting
> separate threads on the above topics later (in other words, please
> don't discuss these topics in this thread, only the meta stuff).

I'll start a new thread for a few (relatively minor) things that I talked
to Steve about during DebConf10.  I wanted to mention here, though, that
one of my goals is for DEP-5 to not be Debian-specific.  As an upstream
maintainer, I would like to use DEP-5 for the upstream LICENSE file for
the software that I maintain, both because I think the benefits of
machine-readability are important beyond just Debian and because it will
save me substantial work as a Debian package maintainer since I can just
reuse the upstream LICENSE file with some programmatic modifications as
the Debian copyright file.