Re: debian-private declassification team (looking for one)

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 01:19:42PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> I clearly remember that vote.  But how much sense does this vote make if
> nobody does the actual work?  Voting about a decision is cheap, but
> doing the work is not.  Normally you vote between comparable options.
> We voted between "no work at all, just proceed as before" and "doing an
> in principle reasonable thing which cases a lot of work (not to mention
> triggering fatal failures)".  If you ask me the voting was based only on
> "in principle reasonable" but not on "I want to do this work".

I'm not sure I understand against *what* exactly you're arguing; nor it
is clear to me whether you are proposing a different course of action
than the status quo.

The vote is there and we cannot change the past; the vote gives a
process (as Bernhard observed in a different post) and shows our
willingness to be transparent. Are you proposing to state explicitly
that the vote is moot? I disagree, it is not. Still it is currently not
implemented. The only thing that has changed is that we now clearly
state that it is so and detail what is needed to go forward.  Are you
against any of the above? I personally see no regression in all that.

> To throw in some fire into the discussion: If somebody want's us to do
> this work, he should probably pay for this.  IMHO this kind of work
> needs some more motivation than just that some people decided.  If
> nobody is willing to pay for the work which has to be done (not the
> content which is free for sure) there is obviosely not enough interest
> in getting the work done.  (And I personally would vote against spending
> Debian's own money for this.)

This is a very slippery rope: it is us who voted, not someone external
to the project; arguing now that that someone should pay, if she really
cares about obtaining the result, sounds very weird.  But OK, that was
just to heat the discussion (do we really need that?), so I probably
shouldn't have bitten :)

Cheers.