Re: The role of debian-private

On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 03:46:13PM +0000, Clint Adams wrote:
On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 04:52:42PM +0200, Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:
> I don't think traffic shoudl be keep at minimun, it is not a
> important list. We don't hide problem, so important things are
> send to d-d-a (which is the only required list for DD).

Why would we not be better served if the people who think that
there should be an exclusive club for patently idiotic discussions
went off and made a separate, unofficial mailing list for that
purpose?  That way both groups could be happy.

As wrote by Jonas, there is a risk of "cabalization".
Good discussion could also start from off-topic bad threads.

Anyway I must explain the purposes or my previous mail:

Enrico mail was (IMO) too "restrictive", specially considering
that it was the first mail on project. So I think it could be
mis-interpreted.
I replied to enrico's mail as a stand-alone.
I know from IRC and few mails on -private that it seems that some
most I left unread are "funny" (and highly off-topic).
But this was not the subject of enrico mail. So I don't want that
because of chatty mails we will set a too restrictive policy.

[I'm pretty indifferent to the off-topic threads, as you see,
I usually just ignore most of bad sub-threads, so restrict
or not such mails are indifferent to me, but the very
offtopic mails did seem the original topic of enrico mail]