Re: Partners

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 10:36:06PM +0000, anthony budd wrote:
> I was looking at your website on the partners program page, and i was
> wondering. Does being a partner give the right to sell Debian? Or if not do
> you offer a program in which a business can sell Debian for a commission?

Debian is free software[1], anybody can reproduce CDs for users and charge
whatever they like for that convenience. Equally, any user can choose to
buy CDs from a vendor or download Debian directly - it's their choice.

Regarding partners: The project is run by volunteers;
the companies listed on the partners page are those that have provided
ongoing assistance through hardware, hosting, or some other service.

People who have given financial donations are recognised differently [2].

1: http://www.debian.org/social_contract
2: http://www.debian.org/donations

--
Jonathan Wiltshire                                      jmw@debian.org
Debian Developer                         http://people.debian.org/~jmw

4096R: 0xD3524C51 / 0A55 B7C5 1223 3942 86EC  74C3 5394 479D D352 4C51