Re: d-d-a (and/or d-announce) on planet.debian.org

On 11/06/2010 10:28 AM, Ralf Treinen wrote:
> Mehdi Dogguy wrote:
>
>> Nowadays, It seems that planet.debian.org became an important news
>>  media and has a fairly large number of readers. I think that a
>> large number of mails sent to d-d-a (or debian-announce) may take
>> advantage of this media to gain more visibility (e.g. various RFH
>> sent to d-d-a by various teams).
>
> I don't like it. If someone needs to know the messages of d-d-a then
> s/he should subscribe to that list; serving people who might have
> only a passing interest isn't sufficient reason to burden planet
> with it.

I find this comment quite inappropriate. Do you think that news about
Debian are burden on one of the most important news media Debian has? I
already filter Planet's content by looking at the titles (e.g. I don't
read my blog posts :) or when the subject doesn't seem interesting for me).
I'm quite sure you do pretty the same too.

Debian Planet is also a way to communicate with our users, upstreams and
contributors. Thus, its quite natural to publish news about the
development happening in Debian on Planet and I won't consider that a
burden, even if it's published on a dedicated mailing list. Besides, the
traffic on d-d-a (and even with d-announce accumulated) is very very
low… compared to the number of posts published on Planet each month.
So, you're against basically a few messages by month?

> I always read my mail (possibly with a delay), but I look at planet
> only when I have some spare time, and then I'd prefer to not see
> there again the stuff that I have already read via mail.

In any case, there are several ways to filter rss feeds. You might have
a look to reduce the "burden". A quick google search brought me to [1]
and [2].

[1] http://www.feedrinse.com/
[2] http://liferea.sourceforge.net/scripting.htm

Regards,