Re: d-d-a (and/or d-announce) on planet.debian.org

Hi!

On Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 06:12:25PM +0100, Mehdi Dogguy wrote:
> On 05/11/2010 17:54, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> >> Nowadays, It seems that planet.debian.org became an important news
> >> media and has a fairly large number of readers. I think that a large
> >> number of mails sent to d-d-a (or debian-announce) may take advantage
> >> of this media to gain more visibility (e.g. various RFH sent to d-d-a
> >> by various teams).
> >
> >> Some people may think that this is bad since d-d-a is about only
> >> *devel* going on in Debian and that interested persons should be
> >> subscribed, but advertising those mails on planet could attract new
> >> readers (and maybe new contributors).
> >
> >> I suggest to have a look at d-d-a's archive and think about those
> >> mails on planet.
> >
> >> What do you think?
> >
> > So what? Those who mail to d-d-a and think it important can easily post
> > it to $anyotherplace, not just planet, too? And/or contact that Debian
> > news thingie to include it. And DPN And whatnot.
> >

> Yes. Sure. I was thinking of something more automatic, not an option.

I have almost never published something from d-d-a in news.d.n because
I have assumed people is subscribed to the mentioned list and it would be
redundant [1]. However, I am happy to start publishing this stuff in
news.d.n, if there is a rough concensus it will help to improve the
visibility and people do not mind the redundancy.

Publishing the stuff from d-d-a in news.d.n could be done automatically,
but the result would be *very* ugly since it will not be formatted in HTML.
It would be unreadable in planet, specially for longs emails.
Publishing only the Subject of the email and a link can also be automatized,
but we already have identi.ca for that :)

My prefered option is publishing a very short post (2-3 lines) with a very
short summary of what the email is about and of course the link. This is
actually what is done in DPN, althought it does not appear in planet and
sometimes there is a lot of delay since the email was send to d-d-a and
it appears in the next edition of DPN.

And BTW, if you have something you want developers and users know but you
think it is not worth an email to d-d-a, you are welcome to submit
it to Debian News :) [2]
Ana

[1]
http://news.debian.net/2009/08/15/about-information-sent-to-debian-devel-announce/