Re: DEP5: non-DFSG repackaging documentation

Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk> writes:

> Makes sense to me.

> Let's define only a single free-form field in the header section now.

> I suggest it then be a field specifically for notes regarding source not
> being "pristine" in the sense that the form as redistributed by Debian is
> different from how it was distributed by upstream.

> With this I mean that it should *both* cover cases of repackaging a
> tarball *and* generating a tarball from e.g. a checkout from an upstream
> VCS.

> Suggested filed name:

>  Source-Repackaged-Reason:

We already have a field for this purpose, namely Source.  The only reason
why we can't use it is because it's currently only allowed to contain
URLs.  So what about, instead, broadening the syntax of Source to say that
it contains *either* a space-separated list of URLs for the simple case of
reusing an upstream release tarball available from some URL *or* freeform
text describing where the source came from.

I don't think it's horribly important that the URLs in Source be
machine-extractable, since that purpose is already served well by
debian/watch.  The field is primarily meant for humans anyway.