Dropping the .0 on release numbers?

Hi,

We have carried a major.minor scheme as a release numbering scheme
since the Early Days, but it has lost relevance basically since Sarge
(3.1 - But by the time it was finally released, some discussion was
made whether Sarge should be 4.0 as the difference from Woody was
already too large, to which the release team IIRC answered "it would
be right but it's too late"). Since Etch released (2007), we have
always used x.0.

There was the suggestion of using 4.5 for Etch and a Half, but it was
not implemented, even though Etch and a Half was eventually released
[1]. And I might be living under a rock, but I never heard about Lenny
and a Half.

So, for the past years we have had x.0.y with growing `y' for point
releases, and skiping to (x+1).0.0. And the zero in the middle carries
no meaning anymore.

So, 6.0 is already decided for Squeeze. However, what do you think
about dropping it afterwards? Wheezy can be just Debian 7 (yay, just
like Windows! Oh, please forget that), with 7.1, 7.2, etc. as its
point releases.

[1] http://www.debian.org/releases/etch/etchnhalf