Re: DEP-5: general file syntax

On la, 2010-08-21 at 01:58 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > How would that tie in with updating it via the normal policy process? I
> > thought we'd keep the file in the debian-policy package for future
> > updates.
>
> I was assuming that's how we'd get to a 1.1 version.  I haven't read DEP-0
> recently, though, so I guess I have a poor grasp of how this is supposed
> to work.  I'll go review it.  If we pick up the files in debian-policy,
> then wherever we publish them from should really publish the versions from
> the debian-policy package.

I was assuming we'd have the current official version be in the
debian-policy package, and published at http://www.debian.org/doc/ or
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ rather than on dep.debian.net.
The final version of DEP-5 would have a pointer to the version in
debian-policy. That's why I'm having such as bad time figuring out how
to put the version in the URL.

However, it now strikes me that the filename in debian-policy can just
have the version number. So the filename would start out as
copyright-format-1.0.txt, and when it changes, the the filename changes
to copyright-format-1.1.txt. Does that sound reasonable?

The URL for Format would then be something like

http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/copyright-format-1.0.html

That's a bit long, perhaps.

Having an updated DEP-5 be generated from debian-policy on
dep.debian.net, when DEP is not used to update it, seems unpleasantly
complicated to me.