Re: MIT and Expat licenses; licenses 'similar to' a BSD license (Re: [DEP-5] [patch] License table: more links and licenses.)

Carsten Hey wrote:
> * Charles Plessy [2010-08-15 00:20 +0900]:
> > Le Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 01:26:45PM +0200, Carsten Hey a écrit :
> > > Shouldn't it be mentioned in the licenses description that the expat
> > > license sometimes wrongly is referred to as MIT license?
> >
> > I wonder if the tradition of using the “Expat” name to refer unambiguously to
> > one of the variants of the “MIT” license is widespread or Debian-specific.
>
> If I would need to make a guess I would guess: the FSF was first in
> doing so.

I think that guess is correct.  See under X11 License at
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#X11License

  "This license is sometimes called the MIT license, but that term is
  misleading, since MIT has used many licenses for software."

Hope that helps,
--
MJR/slef