Re: MIT and Expat licenses; licenses 'similar to' a BSD license (Re: [DEP-5] [patch] License table: more links and licenses.)

Carsten Hey wrote:
> * Charles Plessy [2010-08-15 00:20 +0900]:
> > Le Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 01:26:45PM +0200, Carsten Hey a écrit :
> > > Shouldn't it be mentioned in the licenses description that the expat
> > > license sometimes wrongly is referred to as MIT license?
> >
> > I wonder if the tradition of using the “Expat” name to refer unambiguously to
> > one of the variants of the “MIT” license is widespread or Debian-specific.
> If I would need to make a guess I would guess: the FSF was first in
> doing so.

I think that guess is correct.  See under X11 License at

  "This license is sometimes called the MIT license, but that term is
  misleading, since MIT has used many licenses for software."

Hope that helps,