Re: DEP-5: clarify batching of copyrights, licenses in a single stanza

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 05:45:12PM +1000, Craig Small wrote:
> > Attached is a patch that tries to clarify this in the DEP itself.  Do you
> > think it does an adequate job of this?  If so, given that this is a
> It certainly makes it more clearer.

Ok, committed to trunk, thanks!

> Something around the Copyright section would help explaining
> that it is not essential that every author listed is responsible for
> every file covered by this section, it is just important to capture all
> authors for the collection of files this stanza specifies.

Russ's proposed wording seems to address this.

> Explaining the years would be nice, ie
>   a.c (C) 2001-2003 Me and
>   b.c (C) 2000-2002 Me
> is stating (C) 2000-2003 Me in the Files:  * statement ok?

I don't see why it should be the job of DEP-5 to tell you how to write a
copyright notice.  How you merge copyright statements is a question of
*law*, which I don't think we have any business encoding in a technical spec
about a file format.  For all I know, the SPI lawyer could show up next week
and inform us we've been doing it wrong all these years and need to change
all our debian/copyright files - in that case, we don't want DEP-5 to be
giving contrary advice!

>From a debian-legal perspective, I think "(C) 2000-2003 Me" is perfectly
fine in this case, and consistent with years of existing practice.  But I
still don't want to hard-code that advice into the file format spec! :)