Re: [DEP5] [patch] Renaming the ‘Maintainer’ field ‘Contact’

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 10:09:16AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> gregor herrmann <gregoa@debian.org> writes:

> > I remember CPAN maintainers (sic!) being interested in the status of
> > their modules in Debian.  Without a Maintainer (or whatever) field in
> > d/copyright (or somewhere else but I don't know a better place) we are
> > not able to provide a mapping for that.

> I can definitely see the desire for this metadata, but it feels to me like
> it would be better tracked in a separate file, such as Charles's proposed
> upstream metadata file.

In current practice, many maintainers include such information in
debian/copyright.  As long as this is the case, I think the format should
provide for that in a more structured manner than a 'Comment' field allows.
These fields are already marked as optional; if policy later dictates that
this information shouldn't live in debian/copyright, we can always phase
them out.  Do you see any harm in this?