Re: DEP-5 meta: New co-driver; current issues

Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> A few comments:
> - Personally I find the format unnecessarily complicated and much more annoying
> to use than writing a normal debian/copyright file, especially for complicated
> cases.

Just as a data point in the other direction, as a maintainer of several
packages that receive frequent contributions from others, and have
fairly complicated copyright situations (no assignment, multiple
licences), I've found the format makes it much easier to maintain
debian/copyright as when I get a new file from someone I can just add a
quick stanza documenting it, without needing to write a bunch of English
boilerplate.

Ie, compare:

	Files: creole.pm
	Copyright: Copyright (C) 2008 Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de>
	License: GPL-2+

With:

	The creole plugin is Copyright (C) 2008 by Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de>
	and is licensed under version 2 or greater of the GNU GPL.

However, there is a big, big problem with DEP-5, and it is named
/usr/share/doc/chromium-browser/copyright. It is 1.3 mb in size (out of
a 25 mb package), and completely unreadable and unusable. It appears to
be machine generated, and is full of redundancies and useless
information. (So I am very skeptical of claims that we should
machine-generate copyright files.) It could probably be replaced by a
hand-written file of about 20k. IMHO, we should not allow such
unnecessarily complicated copyright files in Debian.

--
see shy jo