Re: DEP-5 meta: New co-driver; current issues

On Fri, Aug 13 2010, Mark Brown wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 05:10:11PM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
>> On Fri, 13 Aug 2010, Craig Small wrote:
>
>> > What are these benefits?
>
>> The major important bits are that people who are basing distributions
>> on Debian or are using Debian in the enterprise or embedded
>> environments can more easily determine the set of licences that they
>> need to audit for compliance purposes and due dilligence. Debian will
>> also know better what licences we are distributing in main, and can
>> possibly track issues where we are unable to ship specific
>> derivative works.
>
> In order to truly deliver on this we'd need the entire distro to be
> converted to DEP5 format but elsewhere in the thread it was stated that
> this is not a goal.

        Also, this goal only requires one to list the licenses under
 which the package sources are delivered, but need not say anything
 about which _files_ are under which license (and currently, there is no
 requirement to list any source files in copyright either, so listing
 the files is an additional requirement).

        manoj
--
Executive ability is deciding quickly and getting somebody else to do
the work. John G. Pollard