Re: DEP-5 meta: New co-driver; current issues

On Fri, Aug 13 2010, Mark Brown wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 05:10:11PM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
>> On Fri, 13 Aug 2010, Craig Small wrote:
>> > What are these benefits?
>> The major important bits are that people who are basing distributions
>> on Debian or are using Debian in the enterprise or embedded
>> environments can more easily determine the set of licences that they
>> need to audit for compliance purposes and due dilligence. Debian will
>> also know better what licences we are distributing in main, and can
>> possibly track issues where we are unable to ship specific
>> derivative works.
> In order to truly deliver on this we'd need the entire distro to be
> converted to DEP5 format but elsewhere in the thread it was stated that
> this is not a goal.

        Also, this goal only requires one to list the licenses under
 which the package sources are delivered, but need not say anything
 about which _files_ are under which license (and currently, there is no
 requirement to list any source files in copyright either, so listing
 the files is an additional requirement).

Executive ability is deciding quickly and getting somebody else to do
the work. John G. Pollard
4096R/C5779A1C E37E 5EC5 2A01 DA25 AD20  05B6 CF48 9438 C577 9A1C