Re: DEP-5 meta: New co-driver; current issues

On Thu, Aug 12 2010, Lars Wirzenius wrote:

> On to, 2010-08-12 at 14:59 +0200, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
>> On 08/12/2010 02:45 PM, Lars Wirzenius wrote:

>> - Migrating all packages to the new format is an insane task which
>>   would take a *long* time and a lot of work.

> There is no goal to migrate all packages. That's a strawman.

        I found that surprising; perhaps I have forgotten a lot about
 this proposal.  So, if I understand this correctly, this proposal is to
 come up with some way of creating a standard format for copyrights that
 is not meant to be universal (since lacunae that  make it unusable for
 some packages are not going to be addressed), and not all packages will
 ever have a machine readable copyright?

        I had hoped that we would try for a format simple enough to be
 generally usable (just a header Type: GPL; Subtype: V3) would address a
 lot of use cases without being onerous and much more detailed than what
 is required now.

        Do we know what use cases we are trying to address? Just having
 a machine parseable list of licenses per package (perhaps with known
 tags for popular licenses, and  other) seems to be far more simply
 addressed than the complex schema I seem to recall being bandied
 about.

        manoj
--
The 80's -- when you can't tell hairstyles from chemotherapy.
4096R/C5779A1C E37E 5EC5 2A01 DA25 AD20  05B6 CF48 9438 C577 9A1C