Re: DEP-5 and public domain

* Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> [100802 22:13]:
> > (As public domain by years after death of author differs by country and
> > can and does change in one country, placing stuff in public domain is
> > in other countries just a permissive license, and US government owned
> > stuff is not necessarily public domain outside the US).
>
> That's a separate discussion that does not pertain to the semantics of the
> DEP.

The DEP is about having a standardized format for debian/copyright
files. My comment is about making sure this format allows to include the
necessary information so that people can evaluate the copyright state.
In my eyes having only a "Copyright: PD" or "License: PD" without any
additional information is likely to be as error prone as having no
License: but only a "FreeSoftware: true" field for copyrighted stuff.

	Bernhard R. Link