Re: On terminology

On Tue Jul 06 12:56, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 July 2010, Mehdi Dogguy wrote:
> > DMs and DDs are maintainers and in some cases, DMs are also uploaders.
> > "Debian Contributor" seems nice enough, as Christoph Berg already
> > suggested.
>
> So where would that leave translators, art people, etc, etc. Aren't they
> "contributing" to? "Contributors" is just as generic, vague and problematic
> as "maintainers".
>
> Seems to me we've already had this discussion with exactly the same
> alternatives a few years back.

Why do they need to have different names? Why don't we just have
"contributors", "contributors who can upload" etc?

Well, I can see it's sensible to have at least one distinction (contributor vs
member - ie voting rights), but I really don't think all of these things should
be distinct. People should become contributors. Contributors can ask for upload
rights => get the permissions that DM have now.

Matt