Re: On terminology

On 6 July 2010 12:56, Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 July 2010, Mehdi Dogguy wrote:
>> DMs and DDs are maintainers and in some cases, DMs are also uploaders.
>> "Debian Contributor" seems nice enough, as Christoph Berg already
>> suggested.
>
> So where would that leave translators, art people, etc, etc. Aren't
> they "contributing" to? "Contributors" is just as generic, vague and
> problematic as "maintainers".
>
> Seems to me we've already had this discussion with exactly the same
> alternatives a few years back.

Indeed. What I think Cristoph meant in his first message, but not
everybody got, was that rather than proposing definitions and colours,
we should revisit [1]. In his second message, Christoph pointed out
that this work is directly dependent on other issues that need to be
addressed. So I'm not quite sure what is being discussed right now.
I'm sure that some of this time could be used to help get these
preconditions in place. (No, not me, I'm just trying to save
bandwidth.)

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2008/10/msg00005.html

Martin