Re: Squeeze, firmware and installation

[Steve McIntyre]
> Yup, definitely. We already have an "unofficial non-free" area on
> cdimage.debian.org which is where we've been pushing the firmware
> zip/tar.gz files already. I'll set up the extra images to be dropped
> in there.

A few days ago, I extended hw-detect to look for firmware (u)debs in
/firmware/ (for PXE boot images) and /cdrom/firmware/, so if you
create a CD/DVD with the firmware .deb files in a firmware/ directory
in the root of the CD, it should work out of the box.  Any license
question asked in the package preinst should be displayed, and the
firmware package will not be used if the license isn't accepted.  The
change is in the daily built d-i images already.  Please report back
if it do not work for you.

> I'm guessing that we're not likely to want the extra images for all
> architectures: i386/amd64/powerpc(?). Any others?

I have no idea.  I only use i386 and amd64. :)

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen