Re: Versions

Am Donnerstag, den 15.10.2009, 19:19 +1100 schrieb Craig Anthony:
> Dear Debian developers,
>
> There is no information about what i386, alpha, arm,ia64, powerpc etc. I
> do not know what they mean. I want to run Debian but am not sure about
> the versions. I have searched the site for an answer.

The Ports/Architectures Link shows what hardware architectures are
supported by the Debian names:
http://www.debian.org/ports/

You problabe want either i386 which is for all the Intel/AMD
Pentiums/Athlons etc.
Or amd64 if you have a newer Core 2 Duo or Athlon64 processor which
supports the AMD64/EM64T CPU extension aka 64bit.

> I have installed i386 but cannot update or install software as I can't
> get onto www.debian.org while it is installed. Have no problems getting
> online with Ubuntu or openSUSE but not with Debian.
>
> Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I would love to give Windows
> the boot and only use a linux platform.

This is more appropriate on the debian-user mailing list.
debian-project is for non technical discussions about the Debian
project.

--
Felix Zielcke
Proud Debian Maintainer and GNU GRUB developer