Re: Sourceless but useless: how about ignoring some irrelevant files instead of repackaging?

Magnus Holmgren <holmgren@debian.org> writes:

> I have a different example: Upstream bundles a couple of libraries
> (unmodified source tarballs + modified versions of some files), which
> happen to contain some tiny non-free bits (like RFCs and GFDL-licensed
> documentation with cover texts).

I also find repackaging upstream tarballs to remove RFCs that aren't
installed or referenced by the Debian packaging to be tedious and
annoying, and I question whether it's really improving the world for
anyone.  We're certainly not putting any effective pressure on either the
IETF (who don't care) or on upstreams (who just think we're silly) by
doing so.  I understand the theoretical advantages of having all users
know they can freely modify anything in any source package, but in the
case of RFCs I'd be surprised if our repackaging of source packages helped
anyone more often than once a decade.

Having the RFCs be freely modifiable would, of course, help a lot of
people, but us repackaging upstream tarballs to remove them has nothing to
do with achieving that goal.