Re: Sourceless but useless: how about ignoring some irrelevant files instead of repackaging?

> On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 09:01:04PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:

>> in one of the packages I mainatain, upstream left some zlib and ncurses
>> static libraries for Win32 in the source tarball. Without the copy of
>> the zlib and ncurses sources.

>> Now I will have to add a lot of stuff to debian/copyright, make a
>> “dfsg” tarball, provide a get-orig-source target in debian/rules, and
>> write a README.source file to comply with the Policy, and do the
>> repackaging dance at each new upstream release. This is not the way I
>> have fun.

> Why would you have to add anything to debian/copyright?
> debian/copyright is for describing the copyright and license of things
> in the package.  You don't need to put information here about things
> that are explicitly *not* in the package.

debian/copyright is the appropriate place to put a brief description of
what was removed from the upstream source tarball and why, since it's
where we describe the provenance of the upstream source.  But that should
be short.