Re: Sourceless but useless: how about ignoring some irrelevant files instead of repackaging?

Hello,

Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 09:01:04PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
>> in one of the packages I mainatain, upstream left some zlib and ncurses static
>> libraries for Win32 in the source tarball.
>
> IMHO it is always a good idea to remove crap from an upstream tarball.
> Static libraries are definitely crap and are just wasting our archive.
> So in this case rebuilding the tarball sounds a prefectly reasonable
> action if done properly in a get-orig-source target and documented in
> README.source.

I agree. But there is anther side of it. For instance I like to leave the source code for
Windows in. This will not improve the Debian bits, but it renders the Debian source code
more important to the (scientific) community at large.

Cheers,

Steffen