Re: Summary of the debian-devel BoF at Debconf9

Le mardi 18 août 2009 à 15:25 -0500, Manoj Srivastava a écrit :
>         These attacks on people, as opposed to discussion of what they
>  said, is one of the major reasons discussion threads devolve into
>  unproductive chaos. We should be managing to police discussion better,
>  and the first step is identifying that such a post has been made.

Although there have been some spectacular cases, I don’t think that’s
what is causing debian-devel to be unreadable in the general case. Just
have a look at the last 10 big discussions, and try to see if they were
made to drift by personal attacks.

No, one of the biggest issues currently on the list is that some people
are engaging into rhetorical wars and bikeshedding, instead of the
technical discussions we expect. Those who reply to dozens of messages
in all important threads with several hundreds of lines of nitpicking on
points of no interest, or purely rhetorical arguments with no
relationship to the technical issues at hand, are just polluting the
list. And they can usually do that while remaining polite, which makes
them sound like they are constructive.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette