Re: Summary of the debian-devel BoF at Debconf9

Hi,

Ben Finney wrote:
> "Bernhard R. Link" <brlink@debian.org> writes:
>
>> Perhaps there is a way to […] discourage all meta-discussion or
>> mentioning of "fallacy", "ad-hominem" or "strawman" on the other
>> lists.
>
> Perhaps you have a better way of succinct terms to use when challenging
> those logical fallacies? Surely you're not saying you want such
> fallacies to go unchallenged in the forums where they appear?

I believe he meant only that these keywords tend to denote a crossing
into the realm of meta-discussion, where the point in question ceases to
be discussed, and instead the arguments themselves become points of
contention.
It doesn't mean the arguments are worthless, but indicates a certain
departure from the main point, which could mean this branch of the
discussion has started to dilute - so to speak - the thread and
therefore could be taken somewhere else, in order to keep the central
thread concise.

Please note I'm not showing my endorsement for this idea, just
clarifying what my interpretation of it was.

Cheers

--
Leo "costela" Antunes
[insert a witty retort here]