Re: On syncing freeze dates with other distributions

Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org> writes:

> The other concern I have is lengthening our release cycle to 2 years - I
> think this is quite a bit too long, I am very happy with the current
> (rather informel) 1,5 years which is just between the 6-month release
> cycle of the Fedora, OpenSuSE and Ubuntu community distributions and the
> RHEL, SLES, LTS enterprise distributions.

Amen.  I think two years is a little too long and 18 months would be much
better.

> We go for a freeze-sync together with Ubuntu 10.10; preferably (that is
> up to Canonical to decide) that being the LTS instead of 10.04.
> Furthermore, from then on, we will continue to freeze every 18 months,
> and recommend to Ubuntu to freeze-sync every second Debian release as
> LTS.  That would mean (AFAIK) Ubuntu would have to lenghten their LTS
> release cycle by a year, while Debian pledges to a time-based freeze in
> sync with that.

I don't think Debian should make pledges external to the project about our
release cycle at this point, at least not until we've done the same freeze
at least twice on the same schedule and have proven internally that we can
do it consistently.