Re: Debian decides to adopt time-based release freezes

Frans Pop wrote:
On Wednesday 29 July 2009, Meike Reichle wrote:
The Debian project has decided to adopt a new policy of time-based
development freezes for future releases, on a two-year cycle.

Disappointing to see such an announcement without any prior discussion on d-project, d-devel or d-vote. Some explanation of how and by who this decision was reached would be appreciated.

The Release Team proposed a plan in the keynote at DebConf. There were some important considerations, but in general the audience welcomed the plan.

The announcement was made to avoid confusion and unclear press coverage.

So from now on we release "when it's time" instead of "when it's ready"?
RC bugs are no longer relevant?

No, we freeze in time, we release when ready. RC bugs are still one of the measures to see when we are ready.

Thanks for your feedback.

Cheers

Luk