Re: DAM and NEW queues processing

On Friday 17 July 2009, Mark Brown wrote:
> Right, it appears to be trying to make sure that someone might possibly
> run into in Debian has been covered.  Like I say, this is a large part
> of my problem with it at this point - I don't think that is an
> achievable or useful goal and it does lock out people like translators
> (though that's more of a theoretical concern than a practical one).

That last is simply not true. If someone wants to enter the project as
translator or documentation writer or whatever, the AM has the option of
simply skipping any parts of the NM process that are not relevant for
that task and adding other T&S tasks that test skills relevant to that
role.

For example, during my NM process I was never asked to do any of the T&S
parts dealing with e.g. library packaging because it was understood that
I was just not interested in doing that.
My AM, FD and DAM had faith that I would not attempt things outside my
area of interest and skills, so I was accepted into the project without
being able to package a library.

I have of course extended my skills over time, but as I'm still completely
uninterested in library packaging and have never come close to doing it,
it looks like that was a good call.

Cheers,
FJP