Re: Draft for lenny release announcement

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 08:54:02PM +0100, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl wrote:
> Hi!
>
> W. Martin Borgert schrieb:
>
> > It's difficult to change all occurrences at the same time. Why
> > not start with the release announcement and explicitly say 1x000
> > *source* packages? Let's change it in other documents/pages when
> > we're at them. Counting binary packages feels a little bit like
> > lying...
>
> What about:
>
> ... and more than 23,000 other packages ready to use software packages
> (build from over 12,000 source packages).
>
> For the end user the number of the binary packages is more interesting
> than the source packages.  With that we have both: The interesting
> number and the true number.

I think it's the other way around.  Users don't really care, for
example, that we build 10 binary packages out of the iceweasel source,
or that we build a couple dozen binary packages out of glibc.  We
include iceweasel 3.0, and we include glibc 2.7.  That's what's
meaningful to the users.

noah