Re: Voting on messages: a way to resolve the mailing list problems

On 22/12/2008, at 9:42 PM, MJ Ray wrote:

George Danchev <danchev@spnet.net> wrote:
On Saturday 20 December 2008 21:33:27 MJ Ray wrote:
So, people who remain on the debian mailing lists have a poor
understanding of what should appear a good mailing list,

What makes you think that "vocal minority" is larger than "silent majority" in debian mailing lists? If the "silent majority" has decent means to evaluate
the traffic of the mailing list (i.e. by means of voting messages for
example) then I believe it will do it happily, or at least chances to do so
increase dramatically.

Show me the numbers.  I believe that the current "silent majority" is
by definition silent and most of it will continue to be silent,
watching lists just in case something useful appears and refusing to
participate in improving the lists, as they have so far.  Meanwhile,
the vocal minorities will continue to be vocal and so more
enthusiastic (ab?)users of any Whuffie system which is implemented.

Refusing to participate in improving the lists? Those of us who try to remain silent until we have something useful or important to say *are* improving the lists.

Some mechanism to indicate to posters that their posting was not appreciated would be useful and appreciated, so I'm sitting here watching those with more time to spend on
it come up with ideas to improve them further.

Cheers,

Nick