Re: ssh.upload.debian.org

On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 07:59 +0200, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> Also, is it really interesting to the average DD where this queue is?
> People should be able to upload and expect their packages to end up in
> the archive. It really *absolutely* does not matter if that upload goes
> straight to ftp-master or to a different host first?!

You're missing the point.  It doesn't matter to me at all that the queue
is on ries; I didn't know that until I looked it up.  It is
"ries.debian.org" which is the host name.

You are continuing to scold people for using machine names, when that's
not the issue.  You are asking people to switch from one symbolic name
to using a different symbolic name.  Nobody is using the machine name,
I'll venture to say.

Moreover, I use ftp-master.debian.org because that's what I was told to
do when we switched to the current upload procedure via anonymous-ftp.

I don't object to you deciding that we should switch names again.  But
please just say, "you used to use symbolic name X, but that is tied with
several other services. we want to split those services into different
symbolic names. so for uploads, please use the new name Y."

Instead, you seem to be saying, "how could anyone be so stupid as to use
a non-symbolic name?" when nobody is actually being that stupid.  We're
just using the symbolic name we were told to use the last time the names
were changed.

Thomas