Re: Debian and non-free

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 00:09:22 +0200, Sven Luther wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 11:24:18PM +0200, David Paleino wrote:
> > Instead of removing non-free, I'd support the idea of non-free.org, and if
> > that will make the FSF endorse us again, why not? :)
> >
> > Non-free is there just because the free counterparts aren't optimal. Someday
> > these will, and non-free will just disappear from Debian :)
>
> We already have had this discussion and even a GR about the removal of
> non-free, and debian voted not to remove non-free.

I hope in a free world, someday.

> The free software has progressed somewhat since then, but sadly the free
> alternatives are not ready to replace the non-free solution in a stable
> way. OpenOffice is no match in compatibility to MSOffice,

Is this OOo's fault?

> and evince is regularly dying on documents acroread has no problem with.

Again, is this evince's fault?

> The kernel is full of non-free firmware, debian voted on a GR which sabotaged
> the effort of the kernel team on this non-free issue, and almost brang the
> explosion of the kernel team

I believe that Debian will *always* be non-free "supporters" (i.e. those
wanting to keep it in) and those who would like to drop non-free at all.

It's just matter of time: if my prevision is wrong (i.e. a "free" world in a
tenth of years), it will come some "auto-magi-foo plugin" (closed), which will
be used for "Web 3.0", or the like. And we'll start it again, over and over.

The separation between debian.org and non-free.org is IMHO auspicable. And,
regarding the concern of RMS about "publicizing" this location... well, we do
*NOT* mention debian-multimedia.org anywhere, do we? Still, lots of people use
that.

If we create non-free.org, who needs non-free, will find it. Google is their
friend :)

Kindly,
David

--