Re: DEP1: Non Maintainer Uploads (final call for review)

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 01:33:16PM +0200, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> That has the drawback of not notifying the maintainer explicitly directly
> after (or even before) the upload.

> But perhaps we need another mechanism to signal this. Consecutive uploads to
> the same distribution should not cause previously present version entries to
> disappear from the changelog. Maybe the archive can reject an upload that
> misses a changelog entry that was previously present in the uploads to this
> distribution.

No, this is a terrible idea.  If someone uploads a bad NMU of one of my
packages, why should I have to reference it at all when superseding it?
Neither the archive nor policy should impose such a requirement on me.

> The NMU changelog entry should always be there, else the BTS will start to
> display incorrect information.

Then it's incumbent on the maintainer to correct the information.

> Say the NMU'ed fix migrated to testing and the maintainer uploads another
> fix to unstable, leaving out the changelog entry, testing is marked as
> affected again which it isn't.

That's not true.  Testing will only be marked as affected when the
maintainer upload reaches testing.  Which AFAICS is perfectly appropriate.