Re: DEP1: how to do an NMU

On Tuesday 03 June 2008, Bas Wijnen wrote:
> I would of course do that.  But you do indeed ask me to hide the
> package?  And after, say, 3 weeks have passed and nothing happened
> (which is unlikely, but possible), I can upload it to DELAYED/7?  Then
> why couldn't I upload to DELAYED/28 in the first place?  Or must I wait
> indefinitely?

I'm not going to keep on repeating what I've already explained 5 times by
now. I hope it is now clear that we do in fact have some fundamental
differences of opinion (something I have absolutely no problems with).

As I'm happy with the DEP with the lastest changes included by Lucas, I
don't see much point in continuing this discussion, especially not as
it's not going anywhere.

The current text requires people preparing patches to actively consider
whether an NMU is appropriate for each specific case, which is good.
It also allows them to do the NMU and use DELAYED if they feel they can
justify it, which is also good.
Hopefully it will prevent people from behaving like mindless NMU machines,
which would be very bad.

Let's leave the rest up to how things evolve in practice. There are bound
to be some interesting flame fests^W^Wdiscussions over interpretation and
practice, but in most cases I expect things will work out fine.

Cheers,
FJP