Re: DEP1: how to do an NMU

Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> wrote:

> On Saturday 31 May 2008, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
>> > I propose to add "NMUs are usually not appropriate for
>> > team-maintained packages. Consider sending a patch to the BTS
>> > instead." to the bullet list.
>>
>> It really depends on the team. There are small teams where all members
>> might become unresponsive at the same time. I don't think that we
>> should special-case this.
>
> Yes, it probably does depend on the team. But several people have raised
> this point now, which probably means that it _is_ a real concern. When
> are you (the proposers of this DEP) going to start listening to your
> peers instead of dismissing their concerns?

Just for the record: I do think that packages maintained by the TeX Task
Force which I'm a member of should be NMU'ed just as any other package.

Even if we were not completely unresponsive, there where times when we
just responded to a RC bug: "This seems to be cause by $foo. If anyone
finds the time to verify it and NMU the package, go ahead". There might
be times where we won't do even that for a week. And we've already been
NMUed, with good effects on the quality of the distribution.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX/TeXLive)