Re: DEP1: how to do an NMU

On Monday 02 June 2008, Bas Wijnen wrote:
> > Basically I and several others have been asking to add something that
> > effectively (and more explicitly than in the current proposal) says:
> >
> >    Please consider before you NMU if just contacting the maintainer
> > isn't likely to more effective than doing an NMU.
> >
> >    In general it should be considered preferable that a maintainer
> >    takes care of an issue himself and that he is given the chance to
> >    review and correct your patch, because he can be expected to be
> > more aware of corner cases and complex interactions, things that an
> > NMUer might miss.
>
> While I agree with this principle, I have one comment: IMO posting a
> patch (with explanation of what it fixes and why, and that an NMU to
> DELAYED has been uploaded) to the BTS is an appropriate way to notify
> the maintainer.

Right. And this is where we fundamentally disagree.

> I find this important for fixing mass-filed-bugs.  They're all similar,
> the solutions probably are as well, and it would be too much (IMO)
> overhead to have to check who is maintaining the package.

I have no real problem with what you suggest in _this_ use case, and the
changes that Lucas has made to the DEP do _not_ prevent doing this.

The only thing the changes are intended to do is to make the NMUer think
twice about doing a direct NMU without doing the "normal" thing of
submitting the patch in the BTS and giving the maintainer a chance to
respond without forcing his hand and forcing him to reorder his
priorities by doing a simultaneous upload to DELAYED.

> This is only about bugs which have had the "intent to NMU" in the BTS
> for some time before the upload hits unstable.  I explicitly do want to
> allow (and not discourage) uploading to DELAYED at the same time as
> reporting the bug in the BTS, even for active teams.

I do, and if you are not willing to compromise on this I doubt there is
ever going to be consensus on this DEP. Not for all cases, but I see no
reason why that should become the "normal" practice for *all* packages
and for all *bug* severities and for *all* types of bugs.

Consider again Debian Installer. D-I is native code. This means that every
upload is effectively a new upstream release. What you are proposing is
to let random people do upstream releases without first discussing their
changes with the upstream maintainer.