Re: DEP1: Clarifying policies and workflows for Non Maintainer Uploads (NMUs)

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 11:23:25PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 09:49:55AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Sending a patch to the BTS is not sufficient - the mail to the BTS must also
> > clearly state the intent to NMU, so the maintainer knows the mail must be
> > handled with a high priority.

> Not that I am against requiring the specific NMU mention in the mail
> (especially considering how cheap it as a requirement), but isn't the
> package maintainer going to receive some upload notification for the
> entrance in DELAYED?

To my knowledge, it is not.  But even if it is, I believe this would still
be the wrong workflow to encourage.  NMU patches should be made available to
maintainers as early as possible in the process, so that maintainers can
point out possible issues with them, and this is true even if the intent is
to upload the NMU immediately after emailing to the BTS.