Re: DEP1: Clarifying policies and workflows for Non Maintainer Uploads (NMUs)

On Friday 30 May 2008, Charles Plessy wrote:
> the DEP says:
>  - must use BTS,
>  - usage of DELAYED is recommended.

I would like to see at least two cases where communication with the
maintainer is required *before* uploading (DELAYED or not) by sending
an "intend to NMU" (conform current policy basically):
- packages that are clearly actively maintained (can be seen from changelog)
- packages that are maintained by active teams

There should normally be no need to NMU in such cases and just preparing a
good patch for the BTS should be sufficient.
The intend to NMU could say "I plan to do an NMU to DELAYED X in Y days;
please reply before then if you'd prefer to do the upload yourself".

Of course asking for permission on IRC ("/ping <maintainer>: I have a patch
for RC bug #xxxxxx, OK if I NMU?") is also communication (at least, as long
as you wait for a reply: "sure, go ahead, thx"/"no thanks, I'll take care
of it").

Exceptions to this rule could be allowed for urgent cases, but the NMU'er
had better be prepared to defend himself if challenged about it (i.e. have
good reasons for not following the rule).

Cheers,
FJP